Archive | January, 2013
Image

Looking promising.

29 Jan

image

Food waste added to the top of the BSFL compost! The bins lid has been down all day with no excess moisture problem so far! The lid has prevented filth flies laying into the fresh food waste. When I opened the bin to take a photo and have a stare, filth flies were not particularly interested in crawling over this pile. The fabled pheromones at work?

Advertisements
Image

The next iteration.

29 Jan

image

The mat laid over the drainage holes. A bucket of compost loaded with a mixed maturity of BSFL (taken from the compost inside the IBC you my have noticed in the background of previous posts) has been put on top to kick start the bin. Hopefully those BSFL pheromones will prevent another filth fly incident…

Ingredients.

29 Jan

image

Drill + mat = no more wetness?

Image

Take two.

29 Jan

image

Ok. This is the other bin. Lets see if I have learnt anything from the filth fly fiasco on the other side. Drainage! Drilled lots of holes in the shape of half a hanging basket mat that will go inside.

Image

Oh no!! Filth flies!

29 Jan

image

Collecting a small amount of BSFL. Unfortunately the bin is infested with filth flies. See the previous post about the moisture problem that led to this infestation!

Video

A quick video.

27 Jan

Time will tell, but unfortunately the swarm of small larvae are probably that of blow flies, laid into the bin while the lid has been held open (see previous post). Pre pupae BSFL can be seen climbing the plywood base at the back of the bin. Unfortunately they seem to prefer climbing this steeper side rather than the easier ramp that leads to the collection canister. A few are finding the collection canister. About as many are getting stuck in egg shells! I will check tomorrow to see if there is any improvement.

Image

Coping with the wet.

27 Jan

image

After a few days of big downpours care of of an ex tropical cyclone, the bin was too moist inside. No rain water gets in, the bin is well sealed. Simply, I was not able to get out there and lid lift, so moisture built up inside. The solution has been a plastic garden stake, as seen in the photo. This solution has brought its own problems. It has however corrected the excess moisture problem.